Retiree Skills Bank
As retiring employees leave the workforce, the County is losing valuable and significant talent, expertise and institutional knowledge. The County has developed a Retiree Skills Bank to capture and identify the interest and skills of retirees who express a desire to return to the County for short-term projects/assignments.
- You must have retired from San Mateo County in good standing.
- If you are a general member you must have a 180-day break in service before returning to temporary, extra-help capacity.
- If you are a safety member and under the age of 53, you must have a 90-day break in service before returning to temporary, extra help capacity.
- Retirees may not work more than 960 hours in a fiscal year.
- Complete the online application form and upload your resume at
- Your application is valid for five years. After five years you may submit a new application.
- Hiring departments with vacancies that match the skills/interest of the retiree will contact the retiree directly regarding short-term extra-help employment opportunities.