Request To Hire A SAMCERA Retiree Before The Required 180-Day Break In Service
Purpose: To request the Board of Supervisors to certify that the extra-help or contract employment of a general member retiree or safety member retiree providing non-safety-related services is necessary to fill a critically needed position less than 180 days from the date of the retiree’s retirement.
- The hiring manager must:
- Complete Sections I, II & III of this form;
- Attach the completed SamCERA form, “Certification of Compliance for Post-Retirement Employment;” and
- Submit both forms to the Department Head.
- If the Department Head gives approval in Section IV, forward form to the County Manager or Human Resources Director, as applicable.
- If the County Manager or Human Resources Director gives approval in Section V, proceed with requesting approval from the Board of Supervisors.
Note - EVEN IF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS APPROVES THE REQUEST, the break in service may only be reduced to 90-days if:
- the General member retired younger than age 60; or
- the Safety/Probation member retired younger than age 53. For Safety/Probation members, 90 days is mandatory. But unlike General members, anything over 90 days does not require a Board Resolution.