FAQ for AB 1825/2053: Preventing Harassment in the Workplace
1. What is AB 1825 and AB 2053, and why do I need to take this training?
AB 1825 and AB 2053 are California laws that mandate that supervisors complete a 2-hour sexual harassment and abusive conduct prevention training every two years on how to identify, prevent and eliminate sexual harassment and abusive conduct in the workplace. The law also requires newly hired or promoted supervisors to complete the training within 6 months.
2. I took this training 2 years ago – do I have to take it again?
Yes, California law requires that this training be completed every 2 years, and within 6 months of a supervisor being hired or promoted. Thank you for your participation.
3. I am a new Supervisor/Manager/Lead with San Mateo County. I took this training within the last 6 months prior to being employed with the County – do I have to take it again?
Yes, many training programs do not comply with the requirements of AB 1825. As such, you will be required to complete the County’s AB 1825/2053 course within 6 months of your hire.
4. I am not a Supervisor or Manager. Why did I receive an email notification requiring me to take this training?
We have included certain positions, including Leads and some Advanced Journey and Journey employees, into the group required to take the training. If you received the e-mail, you are required to complete the training. Thank you for your participation.
5. I am a Supervisor/Manager/Lead, but I did not receive the training (or the training was not assigned to me). Do I need to complete the training?
Yes, please contact Training and Development at (650) 363-4343.
6. I supervise or lead staff but am not in a Supervisor/Manager/Lead Class Level. Do I need to complete the training?
Yes. If you supervise or lead staff, you are required to complete the training.
7. Why was my co-worker assigned the training, but I was not?
The training was assigned based on information about management or supervisory level and position. If you supervise or lead staff and were not assigned the training, please contact Training and Development at (650) 363-4343.
8. I am a contractor for the County but I supervise staff. Do I have to take this training?
Yes, contractors who supervise County employees are required to complete the training.
9. I am on vacation/jury duty/sick/other circumstances that prevent me from completing the training by the required deadline. Can I receive an extension?
We will grant you a 2 week extension upon request. If you need an additional extension, please see the next question.
10. I am on a leave of absence/will not be able to complete the training within the 2 week extended deadline. Can I receive an additional extension?
For authorized leaves of absence, we generally will permit you to complete the training within 30 days of your return to work. Please contact Training & Development at (650) 363-4343 to advise them of your leave status and expected return to work date.
Although you may have spent more than 120 minutes with the course window open, AB 1825 requires users to actively participate in the course for the full 2 hours. The course has been designed in such a way that a participant must click buttons, complete exercises, and/or answer questions to prove participation. In an effort to track only active participation, the course timer within the course stops timing after three (3) minutes of inactivity on a particular page. The course will not be counted as complete until all materials and the minimum participation time requirements are fulfilled.
12. When I launch the course, the training window appears blank with no content. What should I do?
You are likely launching the course using Internet Explorer 8 or 9. As stated in the email you received when you were assigned the course, the training is compatible with IE 10+, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. The training will not run on IE 8 or 9. Please launch the course using Firefox or Chrome. If you do not have these web browsers installed on your PC, please see the next question.
13. I want to use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome but I do not have it installed on my system. What should I do?
Please contact your department’s IT personnel for assistance with installing the appropriate software.
14. The video closed captioning is not displaying properly, how do I finish the training?
You can turn off your video and read the transcripts available to you. You may also continue this training on Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Or, you can also turn the audio on and listen to the course content. For assistance installing the appropriate software, please contact your department’s IT support.
15. The video is not working.
The system requirements for this training are listed here: http://support.emtrain.com/entries/22528777-what-are-the-system-requirements-for-this-course. For assistance installing the appropriate software, please contact your department’s IT support.
16. I have never logged into LMS (Learning Management System) before/ I do not know my password for LMS. What do I do?
Please contact your department's LMS Administrator.
17. I have additional technical questions not listed here. Who do I contact?
For technical questions, please contact your department's IT support. For questions about LMS, please contact your department's LMS Administrator.
18. I have other questions about the training that are not listed/answered here. Who do I contact?
If you have login or LMS-related questions, please contact your department's LMS Administrator.
If you have technical issues with your PC, please contact your department’s IT support.
If you are a manager, supervisor, or lead, but were not assigned the training, please contact Training & Development at (650) 363-4343.
For any other questions about the training, please contact the EEO Division at (650) 363-1926.