Bilingual Pay Policy and Guidelines
A salary differential allowance shall be paid to employees in positions requiring bilingual proficiency as designated by their respective Department Heads or their designee. Said differential shall be prorated for employees working less than full-time or who are in unpaid leave of absence for a portion of any given pay period.
Designation of bilingual required positions is the sole prerogative of the Department and is based on operational and staffing needs of the Department. Human Resources will oversee the bilingual examination, certify exam results and determine effective date of the bilingual pay.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- All non-management permanent and limited term positions are eligible for bilingual salary differential allowance. Extra help employees in AFSCME or SEIU are also eligible for bilingual pay.
- Department has determined that a second language is critical to the day to day operations of the unit to which the position is assigned. .
DESIGNATING NEW POSITIONS
- Department completes the top section of the attached Bilingual Pay Form. Forms must be complete upon submission. Managers and supervisor signatures are required. Incomplete/Outdated forms will be sent back.
- Department forwards the completed form to the Bilingual Pay Coordinator.
Bilingual Pay Coordinator
- The Bilingual Pay Coordinator reviews the request and ensures the form is complete.
- The Bilingual Pay Coordinator assigns the form to in-house examiners or coordinates the scheduling of a language proficiency examination with outside examiner.
- The bilingual examiner conducts the exam, completes the Exam Evaluation section of the form, and returns the form to the Coordinator for approval.
- The Bilingual Pay Coordinator will forward the results of the examination to the department payroll specialist along with the effective date of the Bilingual Pay. If the employee does not successfully pass the exam the Coordinator will contact the manager to advise.
Department Payroll/Personnel Coordinator
- Upon receiving the approved Bilingual Form, the department processes a compensation change in Workday. Please see Bilingual Pay QRC for instructions.
- Employees will receive bilingual salary differential allowance in the amount of $70 biweekly as specified by current Memoranda of Understanding.
- Bilingual pay shall be prorated for employees working less than full-time and/or who are in a non-pay status for any part of the biweekly pay period.