AchieveKids - Program Counselor/ Para-Educador
AchieveKids is a dynamic, non-profit educational organization with a rich 57-year history of
providing non-public schooling in San Jose and Palo Alto, California. We serve students with
complex learning and emotional challenges. Our students possess a range of abilities, and we focus on skill development to help our students transition to progressively more independent learning environments. We strive to create joy in learning and to enhance success beyond our doors. AchieveKids is an exciting place to work, and we have a lot to offer the right candidate!
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position that reports to the Special Education Teacher.
As a Program Counselor, you are committed to upholding AchieveKids’ values and beliefs to
help students achieve the maximum possible self-reliance and quality of life. You are a positive and high-energy problem solver, who possesses effective organizational skills and demonstrates dedication, high integrity, and strong reflective skills. In order to support our students in achieving their goals and transitioning to a less restrictive
environment, you are willing to learn and work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary teams. You aim to provide individualized care to promote educational, socio-emotional, and behavioral skill
development plans. You have the exciting opportunity for to participate in a mentored pathways program to obtain a highly supplemented Master’s degree in Special Education and gain experience to become a Credentialed Teacher.
- Work with students to support educational and treatment programs, such as developing academic, communication, behavioral, vocational, and independent living skills.
- Prepare program materials (both educational and social/emotional), and record data
- Maintain a willingness to learn, reflect, and give/get feedback in a dynamic and ncollaborative environment
- Be present, both in daily attending and engaging with students and co-workers
- Drive students to school or home, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think and act autonomously in a variety of situations
- Ability to physically respond to physically active and aggressive children, adolescents,and young adults. Ability to successfully utilize Safety-Care techniques when required.
- Clean California DMV record required
- Able to pass a DOJ background check
- Able to pass pre-employment physical and drug-screen
- 7 paid weeks off
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plan options
- Retirement plan with company match
- Tuition and professional development assistance
- Health care, dependent care, and transportation flexible spending accounts
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time