County of San Mateo Employee Innovation Summit
The Innovation Summit is a day-long Countywide event where employees come together to develop ideas that will improve the organization. At the event participants will collaborate with their team members and consult with subject matter experts to refine their ideas and create a 3-minute presentation for judging. At the end of the event, teams will pitch their ideas to the judging panel. For more information about the event please visit the FAQ at https://hr.smcgov.org/innovation-summit-faq.
When: December 1, 2016
Where: Hiller Aviation Museum, San Carlos
This is a team event.
- You must be on a cross-departmental team of 2-5 employees, with at least 1 employee from a different department/division. No Team? No problem! Arrive by 8:30AM the morning of the event and we will work to match you with other employees who need a teammate!
- Each team member must register to participate in LMS. Supervisor approval is required.
- Once your supervisor approves your registration in LMS you will receive a personalized invitation to a survey where you will provide your team’s name, the names of your teammates, and a brief summary of the idea(s) you plan to present to the judges.
- Each team may submit up to 2 ideas. Depending on the number of teams participating in the event your team may be limited to presenting only 1 of your ideas to the judges due to time constraints.
- The Employee Innovation Summit Committee will review your team’s idea(s) to confirm that they meet the eligibility criteria.
Ideas submitted to the Innovation Summit may not:
- Involve salary and benefit changes, including classification, position, salary, employee benefits, retirement, or any other compensation to employees
- Require collective bargaining or meet and confer
- Concern personal matters or complaints
- Involve the enforcement of existing rules, policies and procedures
- Require legislative or court actions
- No Idea? No problem! Arrive by 8:30AM the morning of the event and we'll work with your team to develop an idea.
Tentative Event Schedule
|8:15 AM:||Doors Open|
|8:15-9:00 AM:||Check-in & Continental Breakfast & Team/Idea Formation|
|9:15 AM:||The Impact of Innovation|
|9:30 AM:||Keynote address|
|9:45 AM:||Start Working|
|12:00 PM:||Lunch is provided|
|1:45PM:||Presentation Paperwork is due|
|2:30 PM:||Team presentations begin
(if you are inviting guests to observe the presentations, please ask them to arrive @ 2:15PM)
|4:30 PM:||Break/Judges deliberate/Vote for People's Choice*|
|4:45 PM:||Winners announced*|
|5:00 PM:*||Event Concludes*|
*Subject to change depending on the number of teams presenting
When developing your idea(s), please consider the following challenges currently facing our organization and how your idea(s) might address at least one of these areas:
- Sustainability: How can we reduce waste and better conserve County utilities and resources?
- Customer Service/Community Engagement: How can we improve or enhance services for our clients? How can we continue to engage the community?
- Process Improvement: How can we improve business processes to more effectively and efficiently meet organizational goals? How can we improve services and/or streamline work processes by utilizing technology?
- Employee Development/Wellness: How can we increase awareness of and participation in Wellness, Employee Engagement, and Training programs?
- Workforce Succession: How do we create leadership pipelines? What can the County do to attract the next generation of workers interested in public service?
- 1st Prize: $2500
- 2nd Prize: $1500
- 3rd Prize: $1,000
- People’s Choice Award: $100 per person on winning team